For the past decade, Octobop has been exciting music fans around the globe with its special brand of West Coast Cool. From local venues to retro conventions in Las Vegas, Octobop has brought back and updated the sounds of Gerry Mulligan, Shorty Rogers, Dave Pell, Bud Shank, the Lighthouse All-Stars, and many more who defined the cool sound of west coast jazz in the 1950s and 1960s. In 2007, the group’s 4th CD, Very Early reached number 4 on the national jazz charts and finished the year in the the top 40. Come join Octobop and some special guests from the last 10 years as the group not only provides a retrospective but also a preview into new concepts in cool jazz.
- A nice write up about Irene Kral, and a link to her performance on Frankly Jazz.... fb.me/1hh7oGE0Y 2 years ago
- Shorty Rogers... one of the stalwarts of West Coast Jazz. youtu.be/DwpDp9PeqAE fb.me/6trQALc6J 3 years ago
- Was trumpeter Dupree Bolton truly the most mysterious figure in modern jazz? Here he performs with Curtis Amy on... fb.me/1lTgY2ANL 3 years ago
- Lou Rawls - featured on a Frankly Jazz episode - is also the subject of a new documentary on TV One. fb.me/1A1IIIx5V 4 years ago
- A nice NPR Music web page, with some terrific album recommendations. fb.me/2bcyWBfuZ 4 years ago